By: John Burkett
Writing Practice 101: Three Writing Disciplines:
1. Keep a Spiritual Journal.
2. Write Personal Letters.
3. Imitate Your Favorite Authors.
Theology and Writing Theory 101.
– writing is an art of communication
God the Author and the Conversation of Mankind.
– by writing, we enter the conversation, by dialoguing with an author
– our dialogic drama begins with God as a Trinity and as an Author.
The Holy Trinity and the “Dialogic Self.”
– According to Augustine, our “dialogic self” is always already in dialogue with, and “possessed” by, another voice–namely (at some level) God.
Writing Praxis 101: Audience-Message-Author.
– This audience is our “dialogic self” (we are our own first reader), our God (the ever-present ”super-addressee”), our direct audience if any (whom we directly address), and an indirect audience (someone we imagine who may read our work, such as a respected parent, brother, sister, mentor, or friend).
A follow-up article may arrive later (discussing Christian perspectives of message and author).